I haven’t posted here in forever, but when people ask you for the recipe for green chile chicken pot pie, you give it to them. Without further ado…
- 1 medium potato, peeled and cut into 1” pieces
- ½ medium onion, diced
- 5-6 roasted Hatch green chiles (peeled, de-seeded, and diced*)
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 Tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups chicken broth
- 2 cups cooked chicken meat**, shredded or cubed
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1/4 cup plus 1 Tbsp heavy cream, divided
- 1 package (15 oz) refrigerated pie pastry
- Preheat oven to 375. Take pie crust out of the refrigerator and let it come to room temperature.
- In a large pot, add butter, oil , potatoes, and onion; sauté until tender.
- Add about ¾ of the green chiles.
- Add in flour and stir constantly for a minute or so.
- Gradually add broth and bring to a boil. Cook and stir until thickened.
- Add corn, season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Gradually add cream, stirring continuously.
- Turn off heat and stir in chicken and the rest of the chiles.
- Put bottom pie crust in pan and spoon in mixture.
- Roll out the pastry to fit the top of the pie. Place over filling and trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in pastry to vent.
- Whisk together egg and 1 tbsp of cream. Brush top of pie with egg mixture.
- Bake at 375 for 40-45 minutes or until golden. Let stand for 10 mins before cutting.
* Do ahead #1: I like to roll the chiles up in paper towels and a kitchen towel to soak up the excess moisture before I chop them.
** Do ahead #2: Add chicken (breasts or thighs work equally well) to crock pot with some onions, garlic, salt & pepper, a few bay leaves and enough water to cover. Cook on low for about 4 hours (longer if chicken is frozen). Voila! Chicken AND broth in one pot!
This recipe is based on one I found here.